Press Releases

Canadian charities unite to respond to humanitarian crisis in East Africa

OTTAWA, ON, June 5, 2023 /CNW/ – In response to the combined impact of conflict, climate and hunger in parts of east Africa, along with the ripple effects of the conflict in Sudan, leading Canadian aid agencies – working together as the Humanitarian Coalition – are raising funds to rush assistance to people in need. […]

More than 85% of people facing hunger crises live in conflict-affected countries

New Action Against Hunger analysis shows how conflict drives food insecurity May 24, 2023 – Conflict and violence threatens food security for 85% of 258 million people in 58 countries, according to a new Action Against Hunger report, released today. In “No Matter Who’s Fighting, Hunger Always Wins,” the global nonprofit organization analyzes evidence from […]

Cyclone Mocha hit the coasts of the Bay of Bengal

© REUTERS/Jibon Ahmed On Sunday, Cyclone Mocha hit the coasts of the Bay of Bengal near Sittwe in Myanmar’s Rakhine State, and Cox’s Bazar in Bangladesh. Strong winds of up to 250 km/h and heavy rains caused considerable damage, particularly in the Rakhine state of Myanmar. Despite multiple evacuations and efforts to mitigate the damage, […]

Canadian aid sector responds to Federal Budget 2023

“Budget 2023 undermines Canada’s standing in the world, as government backpedals on aid commitment”, says coalition of NGOs. Ottawa – March 28, 2023: At a time of enormous need globally, the Canadian government has failed to deliver on its promise to increase foreign aid every year. As part of the Federal Budget 2023, the government […]

#AidforAfghanistan Coalition of 18 organizations responds to government plan to amend Criminal Code

March 9, 2023 (OTTAWA) – The Canadian government introduced Bill C-41, amending the Criminal Code to allow Canadian aid organizations to provide humanitarian support in Afghanistan without the fear of criminal prosecution. This is a critical and important step toward protecting the ability of humanitarian organizations to provide neutral and impartial aid in Afghanistan and […]

The World Faces a 53% Shortfall in Funds for Hunger Programs, Finds 2023 Hunger Funding Gap Report

While Famine Looms, War in Ukraine Reduced the Percentage of Fully-Funded Hunger Programs in 2022, According to Action Against Hunger Only 47% of hunger funding needs through the UN humanitarian system are met, leaving a hunger funding gap of 53%, according to the Action Against Hunger 2023 Hunger Funding Gap Report. Released today, the analysis […]