As part of our #brownbagit campaign, Action Against Hunger is sharing simple packed lunch recipes from Canadian chefs from coast-to-coast-to-coast. This fall, join your fellow Canadians: pack a nutritious lunch and donate the money you save so every kid can eat a healthy lunch. Read on for the firsty tasty recipe from Toronto’s Chef Shahir Massoud, co-host on CBC’s The Goods:
Chef Shahir Massoud
Located: Greater Toronto Area
Follow Chef Shahir: Twitter / Instagram
Like you, Chef Shahir is concerned about fair access to food for all Canadians — so he took action — Chef Shahir is sharing this delicious recipe for an easy lunch to take to work or school. Make this recipe this week and be sure to donate if you believe in a Canada free from hunger.
Chef Shahir Massoud’s Yellow Coconut Curry with Turkey Breast
Yellow Coconut Curry with Turkey Breast
- 1 Butterball Boneless Turkey Breast
- 2 tbsp yellow curry
- 1 tbsp turmeric
- 1 tsp mustard powder
- ½ tsp chili powder
- ½ onion, minced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tsp ginger, minced
- 1 large carrot, cut into 1 inch pieces
- 1 large zucchini, cut into 1 inch pieces
- 1 400ml can coconut milk
- 1 tbsp tomato paste
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 tsp seasome oil
- 1 1/5 tbsp lime juice
- Cut turkey breast into 1 inch cubes
- Mix together yellow curry, turmeric, mustard powder and chili powder
- Add half of the rub to the turkey breast cubes and combine
- Cook onion, garlic and ginger in olive oil on medium until soft. Then add the turkey breast, carrots and zucchini continue to cook on high.
- Add tomato paste and remaining rub mixture continue to cook for 1 min.
- Add coconut milk, bay leaf and simmer for 15 – 20 mins until cooked through.
- Drizzle with sesame oil and lime juice.
- Serve with Coconut Rice
Suggested Side: Coconut Rice
- 1 c basmati rice
- 1 ½ c coconut water
- ½ c water
- 1/2c unsweetened shredded coconut
- Bring water, coconut water and rice to a boil then reduce to a simmer until rice is cooked through.
- Fold in unsweetened coconut milk.
Don’t forget to take a photo of your lunch and share it on Twitter, Instagram or Facebook with the hashtag #brownbagit.
Join our newsletter to be sure you receive our next chef’s packed lunch recipe!