As part of our #brownbagit campaign, Action Against Hunger is sharing simple packed lunch recipes from Canadian chefs from coast-to-coast-to-coast. This fall, join your fellow Canadians: pack a nutritious lunch and donate the money you save so every kid can eat a healthy lunch. Read on for a tasty recipe from Ottawa’s Chef Olivia Cruickshank:
Chef Olivia cares about fair access to nutritious food for all Canadians — so she took action — Chef Olivia is sharing this delicious recipe for an easy vegan/vegetarian lunch to take to work or school. Make this mason jar recipe and be sure to donate if you believe all kids should have access to fruits and vegetables.
Chef Olivia Cruickshank’s Black Bean & Mango Salsa Bowl
Step 1 – Make the quinoa
• Bring the salted water to a boil
• Add quinoa and stir
• Turn to medium low heat and cook for 15-20 minutes. until there is no more water and the quinoa is cooked
• Fluff the quinoa with a fork and cool
• While the quinoa is cooking, proceed to step 2
Step 2 – Make the black beans
• Heat the oil in a medium size pan on medium high heat
• Add onions, cooking until translucent
• Add the garlic, green and jalapenos peppers and cook for a couple of minutes
• Add the spices and salt, stir well
• Add the tomatoes and black beans, combine and simmer on medium low heat for 5-10 minutes.
Step 3 – Make the chipotle sauce
• Combine all of the ingredients in a blender, and blend until smooth
Step 4 – Make the mango salsa
• Combined all of the ingredients in a mixing bowl and toss well
Step 5 – Add some greens
• Remove outer leaves, cut in half and core
• Shred enough cabbage to add a bit of crunch to your bowl
• Cut the avocado in half, remove the pit
• Scoop the flesh into a bowl and mash it up until smooth
• Add a little salt and lime if you like
Step 6 – The build
Using a mason jar (use any container or jar), build your bowl upside down as follows:
• 2 tbsp chipotle mayo
• ½ cup mango salsa
• 1 thin layer of cabbage
• ½ cup black beans
• a nice scoop of avocado
• ½ cup of quinoa
Pure your lid on and take it for lunch.
Empty out into a bowl and enjoy!
Join our newsletter to be sure you receive our next chef’s packed lunch recipe!