As part of our #brownbagit campaign, Action Against Hunger is sharing simple packed lunch recipes from Canadian chefs from coast-to-coast-to-coast. This fall, join your fellow Canadians: pack a nutritious lunch and donate the money you save so every kid can eat a healthy lunch. Read on for this week’s tasty recipe from Chef Rodney Bowers:
Today we are sharing our final recipe for the year, created by Chef Rodney Bowers of Toronto. Chef Rodney is a long time partner of Action Against Hunger and cares deeply about helping Canadians access healthy food. When you make this recipe, and donate what you would have spent on ordering in lunch, you’ll be helping us provide better access to nutritious food for youth right here in Canada.
Rodney’s Healthy Chopped Lunch on the go
2 Servings or 4 side salads
Quick Pickled Onions
- 1 medium red onion, finely sliced
- 1 cup apple cider or white wine vinegar
- 2 tbsp sugar
- 1 tbsp salt
- 2-3 slices of jalapeno pepper, optional
Step 1 – The dressing
- In a small bowl combine lemon juice, cumin, tahini, maple syrup and garlic. Whisk in the water until smooth and combined. Season with salt and pepper.
- To serve, toss together the chopped romaine, baby kale, vegetables and pickled onions. Add the olive oil, toss well, then add a small amount of the dressing
- Plate on large serving platter.
- Place halved eggs and flaked tuna or salmon ( or chickpeas) on top, and garnish with more Tahini dressing and chopped cilantro.
- In a small saucepan, heat up vinegar, sugar and salt until hot and sugar has dissolved.
- Pour over onion and jalapeno slices and let stand for 1/2 hour. Store covered in the fridge for up to 3 weeks.
Step 2 – The salad
Step 3 – Quick Pickled Onions