As part of our #brownbagit campaign, Action Against Hunger is sharing simple packed lunch recipes from Canadian chefs from coast-to-coast-to-coast. This fall, join your fellow Canadians: pack a nutritious lunch and donate the money you save so every kid can eat a healthy lunch. Read on for this week’s tasty recipe from Chef Devin Marhue:
Chef Devin Marhue is excited to be a part of this year’s #brownbagit, and you should be too! Chef Devin believes food and nutrition play an important role in the physical and cultural development of our youth, and children all around the world have the right to good, healthy and delicious food. We couldn’t agree more! When you make this recipe, and donate what you would have spent on ordering in lunch, you’ll be helping us provide better access to nutritious food for youth right here in Canada.
Braised Chicken Thighs with Cumin Rice Pilaf
Cumin Rice Pilaf
Step 1 – Braising the Chicken
- Pat chicken thighs dry with paper towels, and place in a stainless steel bowl. Season the chicken well with salt and pepper. Add the red pepper, garlic, fennel, honey, oregano and drizzle with olive oil. Rub seasoning into the legs on all sides. Place the thighs in a baking pan and tuck lemon wedges evenly around the chicken. Let marinate for 10 minutes. Heat oven to 400F.
- Put baking dish in oven, uncovered and roast until skin browns lightly, about 10-15 minutes. Scatter olives evenly over chicken and add broth. Cover tightly and bake for 15-20 minutes, until meat is very tender when probed with a skewer.
- Remove thighs, lemon wedges, olives, and reserve. Keep warm. Strain the pain juices into a saucepan and quickly skim fat from surface. Over high heat, simmer rapidly until reduced by half. Spoon juices over chicken, sprinkle with parsley and serve with rice.
Step 2 – Preparing the Rice
- Combine the rice, lemon zest, salt in a baking dish.
- In a large pot, combine the stock, olive oil, bay leaves, cumin seeds and lemon juice. Bring to boil.
- Pour hot liquid over the rice and mix well to combine. Cover with a lid place in a 360F oven.
- Cook until the rice is cooked, and all the stock is absorbed.
- Mix in dill and spinach right before serving. Garnish with fried shallots, lemon, parsley leaves, or green onion… or all three!