As part of our #brownbagit campaign, Action Against Hunger is sharing simple packed lunch recipes from Canadian chefs from coast-to-coast-to-coast. This fall, join your fellow Canadians: pack a nutritious lunch and donate the money you save so every kid can eat a healthy lunch. Read on for this week’s tasty recipe from Lisa Marie’s Chef Matt Basile:
Chef Matt cares about fair access to nutritious food for all Canadians, and has been involved with Action Against Hunger campaigns since 2015. This year Chef Matt is sharing his take on a classic lunchtime special; make this Tex Mex Sloppy Joe for your next packed lunch and be sure to donate if you believe all kids deserve equal access to delicious and nutritious food.
Tex Mex Sloppy Joe
The Joe’s Meat
Tex Mex Flavour
Step 1 – Making the Meat
• In a non stick pan, melt butter on medium heat and add onions to the pan
• Place ground meat in a large mixing bowl and add all the spices and half of the ketchup into the bowl, mix
• Once the onions are softly cooked, add the seasoned meat to the pan
• Turn up the heat to medium high and use a wooden spoon to stir everything together
• After about 6 minutes of cooking, add the remaining ketchup to the pan and mix well, then place 4 slices of cheese on top of the meat and reduce the heat to medium low. As the cheese melts, go to Step 2.
Step 2 – Mixing the Tex Mex Salsa
• In a mixing bowl add the corn, beans, red pepper, cilantro seasoning, oil and lime juice – mix thoroughly
Step 3 – The Assembly
• Place 3 tortilla chips on the bottom bun, scoop the Sloppy Joe meat and melted cheese on top of the tortillas
• Serve some of the Tex Mex corn and bean salsa atop the meat
• Place the top bun on and crush
You can bring in the buns and Tex Mex Sloppy Joe separately, heat it up at school or work and then build it together — that way you’ll keep the bun fresh.